Tuesday 16 October 2012

Pitch. Before and After.

11/10/12.  - The Initial Pitch.
I pitched my idea to the group, explaining the story, characters biographies and personalities along with the style I am aiming for. I received critique from 3 of my tutors which I found extremely helpful, this included:

  • Why was Tilly going to the circus?
  • Is Tilly the main character?
  • What is the relevance of the underground and the circus? Why are they major locations?
12/10/12.

I had tutorials with Andy, Kathy and Frankie. This helped me an incredible amount. Frankie influenced how the atmosphere makes everything in a small project, not only through characters, but narrative too. Kathy and I discussed about making a children's show not only suitable for young children, but also for parents and guardians watching too. It's also making it that little bit 'special' something that truly makes the animation or the narrative a little bit different from other television shows, having a 'spark' which made it different. Talking to Andy about my story meant I got a better idea of what children's television shows need to engage the viewer. At the same time, Andy reviewed my character designs and discussed posibly making this more for pre-school, yet still retaining the sillyness that I wanted to keep in. I began watching Cbeebies for inspiration and research, with shows including:

Tilly and Friends,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/tilly-and-friends

Woolly and Tig,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/woolly-and-tig

Pingu,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/pingu/



Get Well Soon,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/get-well-soon

Charlie and Lola,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/charlie-and-lola

64 Zoo Lane,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/64-zoo-lane




Taking inspiration from all these, (especially Pingu for the sillyness) I decided to change the story. It's still a work in progress, however I have the main narrative sorted.

New Story Synopsis:

Tilly is a young girl of the age of 5. She is obsessed with the circus. Her room is plastered with circus posters, wallpaper and toys. By her bedside table, she has a wooden circus set, which opens up (much like a Polly Pocket) with finger puppet animals to play with. She makes a finger puppet of herself, so she can join in with all the fun and pretend she is at the circus. One night before bed, she leaves the finger puppet of herself on. She falls asleep, but soon after wakes up from her slumber, only to find she's become part of the wooden circus! She is greeted by all the animals, who show her all the circus and let her have a go with their equipment, showing her how to juggle etc. She has a fantastic time, but Daniel, looking at the time, warns her it is time to go home. She falls asleep and wakes up  to find the finger puppet still on her finger and the playset as she left it.

The show is a series, in which each episode something new happens between the characters. Tilly is either the catalyst for things happening, or the one to help sort things out.

As the story is still in working progress, I haven't completly smoothed it all out, however I intend to get this sorted tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment